Friday, October 1, 2010

Week Six

We missed two fun field trips because I was sick with a bad cold three out of five days this week. We didn't  do any history or science either.  This week was sort of a blur and I don't remember much of it but I know some things got done because they're checked off my list.

Math and phonics proceeded as usual.  Emily practiced measuring using kilograms, grams, pounds and ounces.  Cami's reading skills are really improving lately.  She's reading the Nora Gaydos level 2 readers.  I like them more than the BOB books and Cami loves putting the stickers in the books once she's read them.  
On Monday Emily started First Language Lessons 3, which seems to be just the right level for her.  We also started Writing Tales on Wednesday.  So far I like the look of it, but if it gets to be too much for her we'll put it aside til next year.

We started learning about the US states this week, which I'm very excited about.  We're learning the old Schoolhouse Rock song, Fifty Nifty United States.  For each state the girls do a coloring page, we read a little bit about it, and we're memorizing capitals.  They also have a US map with a sticker to put up each time they learn about a state.  They love this and beg to do more states all day long, but for now we're doing two states a week.  I bought a pretty neat game called The Scrambled States of America.  We all love this game and it's hilarious listening to little kids who can read well but aren't yet familiar with all the states calling out some of these names.  So far we've had Ee-oh-wa, Arkan-sauce and New Handsfire, and I overheard Emily explaining to Cami that it's pronounced Uh-tuh (Utah).
Since I was pretty much feeling back to normal Friday we decided to have a fun game day.  We spent the morning playing Sum Swamp and set up a store to practice counting money.  The girls were feeling extra silly today and both had a recurring case of the giggles so we didn't get much serious work done today.  My sister, who's also a homeschooler, showed me this game.  Emily and Cami took turns playing it and actually did pretty well.  I found out that I don't really know the states as well as I thought I did!  I'm not going to admit how much of my Friday night was spent trying to beat that game or how ridiculously excited I was when I finally did it.
Cami disappeared into the classroom at one point during the day and came out with these:
steem reizez!
pumcns and wodrmelons!
She is very much into exclamation marks lately.  It's funny to hear her read.  She reads the whole sentence in a normal voice but she says that last word so enthusiastically when she gets to the end and sees the exclamation mark.  So thankful I don't have to miss out on these moments.

In baby news, Little Guy learned to crawl this week!  Yay, Ian!



My Family from WiddlyTinks.com

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week, despite being sick! Thanks for the state game link!
    Lee (5wolfcubs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Salt Lake City when we were little, my sister insisted there was "You-tah" and "My-tah" LOL

    "steem reizez!" warms my geeky science heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when they get excited about things like exclamation marks! My 4 yo has been eavesdropping on his big brother's grammar lessons and you'd think he won a million bucks when he hears one and points it out. I enjoyed reading about how you guys still got so much done, especially on your "fun" day. And way to go, Ian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little guy does that with exclamation marks too. He'll actually stop, go back and re-read the entire sentence with such GUSTO! It's adorable!! I love your fun-day Friday. What a great way to end the week!

    ReplyDelete