Saturday, October 9, 2010

Week Seven: Jade Jewelry and a Rough Giraffe


This week, for the sake of Education, we made a delicious American flag cake.  
The girls also mastered the States Song this week and learned about two new states: Rhode Island and Massachusetts.  Every time I ask the capital of New Hampshire Cami answers, "Constantinople!"  Silly girl.

Emily completed five grammar lessons this week because we love love love First Language Lessons level 3.  Strange since I dreaded pulling out levels 1 and 2 last year.  I think the workbook makes all the difference.  We're also loving the optional activities and for some reason Emily really enjoyed memorizing her pronoun list.

When I told Emily she'd be writing a rough draft on Monday she got really excited and couldn't wait to begin.  Apparently she thought I said "rough giraffe" and she said it sounded like "great fun".  She did a good job on it and wants to write more rough giraffes for history and science.

 Cami learned to add tally marks in math using her parts-to-whole page.  She's also been practicing counting money and has gotten to be pretty good at it.  I let the girls have my extra change sometimes if they can identify the coins and tell me how much money it is. 

Emily finished up weighing and measuring this week and next week she'll start multiplying.  I can tell she's understanding what we're covering but she's still rushing through her work and making silly mistakes because of it.

I'm still using Phonics Pathways with Cami and I'm really surprised she likes it so much.  It seems so boring and she usually goes for bright colors and games.  Her speed is really picking up since we started though.  
 Emily finished reading Ribsy this week and started The Secret Garden.
 
We read about the Sui and Tang dynasties in history this week and the girls made their own "jade" beads out of Sculpey clay.
A very special bunny was lost for almost two weeks.  I thought he was gone for good this time but he popped up today in a basket of yarn.  

Science hasn't happened around here for the last two weeks, but Cami found a really cool moth.  We'll call that nature study.
My Family from WiddlyTinks.com

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that picture with the moth is so precious! I really like the "jade" bracelets...is that in your curriculum or did you come up with that on your own? I'll have to file that one away for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week! Lovely handwriting on the rough giraffe! Glad the special bunny was found. :)
    Lee (5wolfcubs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very good week! Great job on the rough giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got the idea from Story of the World 2. It was a really quick, fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg those pictures are just too cute!!! Loved the rough giraffe and Cam's moth! They are just the cutest! I love reading what they're learning :) Can't wait to see them! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cake, it gave me some ideas for this weekend. :) Your children are absolutely gorgeous!

    Dee :)

    ReplyDelete